Some lucky people have it in spades and we’re not talking £££ or $$$... it’s that ethereal glowing skin that has started so many trends, and empowered so many women to understand that naked, healthy skin with a more natural, glossy, dewy effect can be far more flattering than a highly made-up style.
So, just how do you get that glowing skin effect? Simply follow our 5 Must Do’s to get the look, and don’t forget how important it is to drink plenty of water or fruit tea, lay off the alcohol and eat a balanced and nutritious diet.
- Cleanse, cleanse, cleanse… as though your life depended on it. As the saying goes: it’s all in the preparation and you need to get rid of the main dirt first. You’ll know when the cleanser has done its job as the cotton pad will wipe clean. Your skin shouldn’t feel tight when you are cleansing, so if you experience a tightness then it may have an ingredient that’s not right for you, so think about trying a different product: our gel-based cleansers are more concentrated but can be gentler on sensitive skin types or, simply an organic coconut oil is a great alternative cleanser. Not cleansing is like preparing your food on a dirty plate, this is your base so keep it clean and it will produce better results.
- Once the main grime is removed, to remove the cleanser we recommend gentle exfoliation. Exfoliation helps remove dead skin flakes and cleans out pores. Twice a week is a good benchmark. You can do more, but we recommend this only if your skin is really dirty, or if you have blackheads and pustules forming. But remember to be gentle. Use sparse and smaller natural particles like rice bran for cheeks, around the eyes and neck and something a little more abrasive like ground olive stones for the crease in your chin and forehead. You are not scrubbing floors so be kind to your face, don’t rub too hard so your skin becomes red or raw. Exfoliating in the bath is helpful as the steam is a great way to open up your pores so dirt is more easily removed. Alternatively, you can apply a warm, clean cloth to your skin, to soften the skin a little more as the humidity from the cloth rehydrates.
- Next, it’s time to apply a face mask, if you have the time. A collagen sheet mask works particularly well, or try an anti-pollution, charcoal sheet mask to help control bacterial growth. Once you remove the mask, massage the serum left on the face in upward strokes ensuring it has been absorbed fully, this may take a little time but it’s worth the wait before toning the skin. And you can use any residue after wearing the mask on your neck and décolletage.
- Use a brightening range for maximum glow. Our illuminate toner has rice bran oil and can be coupled with our Illuminate moisturiser. Apply liberally for rehydration throughout the cooler months or, or as a face oil for milder times of the year. Even if you have an oily skin type believe it or not it will love oil. Once applied you can gently pinch a little at the cheekbones to get the blood circulating and create a flush, hang over the end of the bed, or even do a handstand if you’re feeling energetic!
- If you want to finish with some make up, we recommend just a light dusting of shimmery powder and a lip gloss. You can also add a little light face oil to your foundation to give great coverage with a glow.