What Is Athleisure Skincare?
We're all a bit familiar with the word 'Athleisure', but 'Athleisure Skincare?' Well, what's not to love - an excuse to live comfortably in Lycra and trainers AND it's on trend?! To keep up with our fast paced, active lifestyle it's now totally fine to go from home, to brunch, to the gym via Waitrose in our active wear. What a time to be alive! We've fully embraced it as NSF HQ, and we're pleased to see it's not leaving us any time soon - in fact, the trend is intensifying. It's more than just wearing a hoodie: Athleisure is breaking in to the world of beauty and skincare.
Athleisure Skincare - Tell Us More!
We can break this down into 2 parts - Athleisure Skincare, and Athleisure Beauty. We'll explain...
Athleisure Skincare is about helping you ensure that your skincare routine compliments an active lifestyle. When we exercise, our pores open, and keeping skin cleansed before and after exercise to stop grime and oil building up in pores is essential. The biggest faux pas is wearing make up to work out.
With the pressure to look gym-selfie ready, plastering on extra layers of contour before a HIIT class is tempting... But, we implore, you: STOP! When we get hot we sweat, and pores relax and enlarge. Even the most gym-friendly make up will certainly do 2 things: 1) become a streaky hot mess and 2) increase the likelihood of a breakout. It might not cause spots instantly, but it will clog pores, dull skin and possibly leave skin with an uneven texture.
We recommend carrying a cleanser / toner / moisturiser in your gym bag - or, perhaps try one of our pure and organic multi-functional facial oils. Remove make up with a few drops on a cotton pad before working out, and hydrate and protect skin with a good slick of oil afterwards. Try the Peruvian Protector - the pure jojoba wax helps to form a protective barrier over the pores, great after a workout.
Athleisure Beauty is all about harnessing the post work-out glow: without actually working out. The 2018 catwalks saw heavy contour banished to Room 101, instead embracing a natural, post-workout-style flushed glow. Translucent and dewy skin, rosy cheeks, a glowing complexion and not a hint of cakey foundation to be found. It's not about no make up - it's about using make up to enhance natural beauty - or just embracing a healthy complexion without any artificial help.
How To Get The Spin Skin Glow
Well, the obvious answer is cleanse, tone – and get on the spin bike to help you with that fresh work out glow! But, if you’re looking to fake it, here’s how...
Your Skincare Routine - Twice Daily
We recommend using the Illuminate Collection morning and evening to help achieve a natural glow. The combination of rice bran and alpine plants reduce the appearance of age spots and dark circles, detoxing, toning will also promote a natural glow.
- Cleanse with Illuminate Gel Cleanser, £18. Dispense a pea sized blob on to finger tips, and gently massage into the face and neck. Splash with water - it will emulsify. Then remove with a muslin or cotton pads.
- Tone with Illuminate Face Toner, £16. Bursting with natural rice bran, shake to wake and spritz on to a cotton pad. Sweep over the face - trying not to drag.
- Finally, massage a few drops of Organic Rosehip Oil , £17.95, into the face and neck. Moisturising and nourishing to repair skin cells, the Rosehip Oil will leave a dewy and radiant glow.
Your Skincare Routine - Weekly
Once a week, endeavour to undertake a full facial. We're lovers of a #SundayFacial - nothing sets you up for the week, or relaxes you, quite as much as a full length home-spa facial!
- Cleanse with Illuminate Gel Cleanser. Dispense a pea sized blob on to finger tips, and gently massage into the face and neck. Splash with water - it will emulsify. Then remove with a muslin or cotton pads.
- Buff away dead skin cells with Illuminate Facial Polish . Creamy and gentle, it's packed with ground rice to naturally exfoliate & remove dull, dry and dead skin cells. The ground rice ensures that the polish also follows our strict rule: we NEVER use Microbeads! We favour natural exfoliation, without exception.
- Tone with Illuminate Face Toner . Bursting with natural rice bran, shake to wake and spritz on to a cotton pad. Sweep over the face - trying not to drag.
- Apply the Resurrection Collagen tissue face mask. A biodegradable sheet infused with Collagen serum to plump, firm and lift the skin on the face and neck. Plumping and firming - what's not to love?
- Massage a few drops of Organic Rosehip Oil into the face and neck. Moisturising and nourishing to repair skin cells, the Rosehip Oil will leave a dewy & radiant glow, whilst massage will stimulate circulation to aid with skin cell renewal.
- Finally, apply the Illuminate Moisturiser. With Jojoba oil and fine ground rice to mattify the skin and leave a dewy, hydrated & radiant glow.
Faking the Spin Skin glow: Plumped, radiant, dewy & stimulated skin will be the result.
A Final Thought - Let's Talk Moderation
We are fixed on moderation, so to help with achieving that radiant, dewy look make sure you drink enough water, at least 2 litres a day- honestly, it works! Also eating a healthy, balanced diet will not only make you happier on the inside but this will radiate through to your skin, ensuring that, alongside a mindful skincare regime, you can achieve that natural ‘Spin Skin' glow.